Spring is just around the corner and the real estate market is warming up! If you’re thinking about selling or just need to do some spring cleaning, here are a few maintenance tasks you might not normally think to do. Sorry to lengthen your to-do list, but we thought these few home maintenance tasks may require your attention.
1. Clean your refrigerator dip pan
- Remove the kick panel at the bottom of your fridge, and trace the defrost drain line to the pan, which is where it empties out. Be sure to gently pull the pan out as it may be full of water, and dump any excess liquid in the sink before cleaning with an all-purpose cleaner.
2. Flush the water heater
- Turn off the electricity or gas to the heater. Open a bathroom hot water tap and let the hot water run for a few minutes to lower the temperature of the water in the heater. Then shut off the cold water valve at the top of the tank, and put a bucket under the water heater drain valve. Open the valve and drain the water until it runs clear, with no sandy stuff. Be careful, because the water can come out hot! When it’s clear, put everything back the way it was and you’re done until next time.
3. Reseal your grout
- To reseal grout, apply grout sealant, wipe off any excess that gets on tiles, wait 15 minutes, apply a second coat, then clean the tiles again. Let it cure for 24 to 48 hours. After it cures, test it: Water should bead on top of the grout instead of being absorbed.
4. Test for water leaks
- Take a water meter reading and avoid using your water for a couple of hours. After two hours, if the reading changes, you have a leak. If you have a leak, inspect the pipes of your water-using appliances like the dishwasher and washing machine for cracked, bulging, or damaged hoses. Leakey hoses are easy to replace yourself. If, however, the damage is more extensive, you can hire a plumber.
5. Reseal stone countertops
- If you have granite or marble countertops, you should be sealing those ever year. Wash your countertop with mild soap and water, and wipe it dry. Apply a stone sealer, let it sit 15 minutes, then wipe away the extra.
6. Wash your dryer lint screen
- Soak it in hot water and diswashing soap designed to remove grease and oil. Gently scrub the screen with a soft brush, rinse it, and let it air-dry before reinserting it into the slot.